entry slip for sep24

The Orchard Garden is not just a decorative garden. It serves its stated purpose as a class'room' despite not being a room. It was nice having the contrast of being in the math classroom today; the vibes were just different. I'm heartened to learn that it's a semi-permanent fixture. Unfortunately the appearance of many temporary "community gardens" on sites destined for redevelopment into soulless condominiums has dissolutioned me when I see a community garden in the city. I hope the ravenous beast that is the university doesn't consume the sacred space you've carved out. 

I want to switch gears to my other teachable and discuss how a teaching garden can be used in Chemistry. Such uses are manifold. While acids and bases in dilute solutions, clear liquids in beakers and flasks, are the first places students are exposed to the concept of pH, the soil itself has a pH that is of significant importance to agriculture. Indeed, some plants are themselves pH indicators. While the beakers and labcoats are an important part of chemistry education, a quick walk down to the garden with a pH meter can help students connect abstract concepts to the real world. 

Many materials used in gardening are of chemical nature. I'm not sure whether or not I can use commercially available fertilizers mixed with sugar to make bottle rockets or homemade model rocket motors, but it's fun to think about. I'll have to consult the safety information and see what the law says about what's appropriate for use in schools.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entry slip for sept 17